Short on eggs and long on zucchini? This cake is for you! It’s that time of year when either your garden, or your neighbour’s, is overflowing with this popular, prolific squash. My family loves this moist, delicious, easy-to-make cake. After all, who doesn’t like turning a vegetable into chocolate? Sounds like a super-power to me!
Eggless Double-Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk *
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp natural cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease 9 X 13 pan or line with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, mix canola oil and sugar.
- Add milk, grated zucchini and vanilla. Stir well.
- In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and chocolate chips.
- Add to zucchini mixture. Batter will be thick.
- Spread evenly in pan. Bake 25 – 35 minutes, until toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving.
Can be kept in a covered container for 2 to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
*Buttermilk substitute – add 1 tbsp vinegar to milk (at least 1% milk fat).
Want to preserve excess squash for later use? Simply measure out desired amount of grated zucchini (2 cups for this recipe), pack in freezer bags, date and label. Keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.