When strawberry and saskatoon season collide, your favourite muffins get a make-over!
Three-Grain, Berry-Amazing Muffins
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup barley flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup yogurt, plain
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup Saskatoon berries
- 1 tbsp flour
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190ºC)
- Lightly grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin with large paper liners.
- Thoroughly mix oats, flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, whisk together egg, yogurt, brown sugar, canola oil and lemon rind.
- In small bowl, coat berries evenly with flour.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stir just to combine. Gently fold in berries.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop the mixture evenly into the muffin liners.
- Sprinkle tops with oat or barley flakes.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Muffins should be golden brown.
- Set tins on cooling rack for 5 min. before removing muffins to cool completely. Although, you may want to sample one while slightly warm…
I love barley flour and have been substituting it for half of my all-purpose flour in all my baking since learning of its heart-healthy benefits.
Baking should be fun – don’t be afraid to get creative and use what you have on hand. Can’t find barley flour in your supermarket and have no whole wheat flour, just use all-purpose flour in its place. No plain yogurt? Any berry flavour, lemon or vanilla works great too. Orange rind can easily lemon rind. The one cup of berries can be any combination of fresh or frozen you like – try raspberries or blueberries. Play with the flavours and create your own favourite version!
Can be stored in a covered container for 2 to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. If the kids are home or company drops by, you likely won’t have to worry about that though…